Terminator on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard
Terminator is a terminal emulator that allows splitting of one terminal window into many different terminals all within the same window.
The problem is that the project has only been supported by the Linux community and has not been adopted by Mac users…yet. I use Terminator on my Linux machines and I like the way it works, so I wanted the same program to run on my Mac. Here are some instructions that worked for me.
- Download & Install XCode3.1
- Download & Install MacPorts (DarwinPorts)
- Using MacPorts, install the ‘vte’ package
- Using MacPorts, install the ‘hicolor-icon-theme’ package
- Download & Install Bazaar VCS
- Using Bazaar, download the Terminator source from Launchpad
- Run Terminator using the version of Python that MacPorts installs for you. This will be in
It’s not quite as pretty looking as the Terminal.app that comes wtih Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard, but the Horizontal and Vertical Splitting is what I appreciate.
UPDATE: Check out Terminator via Fink! for a follow-up to getting Terminator onto Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard via Fink.